Eureka Springs, AK to El Reno, OK - 318 miles: another top 10 route ridden
You may recall from a previous post, that I met a couple who recommend a hotel, BBQ place, and things to do in Eureka Springs. They also recommended a route for me to ride. It is called the Pig Tail and it is yet another route listed in the Top 10 best routes in the US. Ironically, I had mapped out this route when I was planning my trip, not realizing it was such a special route!
Unlike the Tail of the Dragon, this ride was not only beautiful as it traversed yet another National Forest, but less radical than The Dragon. Also, the road was in better shape and the curves more enjoyable to ride. Besides the route I did the day before from Hot Springs to Eureka Springs, this was the highlight of the trip. As stated previously. I’m definitely coming back to Arkansas again.
Probably the coolest thing I saw during the ride was over $4,000,000 in Ferraris and new Corvettes screaming past me going the other way. There must have been some sort of rally going on. I stopped to take some pictures of the scenery and then I realized how fast these cars were going. It was like being at a Grand Prix race. There must have been at least 50 cars which went by me going the other way.
After finishing the Pig Tail, I jumped on Interstate 40 and started driving west. My next major stop will be in Santa Fe, NM where I will visit my aunt and uncle. It will probably take a good day and a half to arrive in Santa Fe because I plan on riding back roads from El Reno to the New Mexico border and then ride a couple of mountain passes before my visit.
This is what the scenery looked like around the Pig Tail:
A lot of the route went through thick forest, not many places to stop or get a good view of the surrounding mountains.

Comments
Post a Comment