Huntington, WV to Maggie Valley, NC - part 2

I’m behind on posts (and photos) because it appears that my iPad became wet during my epic rainstorm ride. Acting funny, but no big deal. The second part of the ride from Huntington to Maggie Valley was worthwhile  as my route on US 23 (ya, that same US 23 that is in Michigan) meandered through Kentucky towards Tennessee. At points in the journey, we touched Virginia and North Carolina. Started to see glimpses of Appalachia on some parts of the roads I detoured off of 23. 

The last part of the ride from Kingsport to Maggie Valley was very nice. I forget that Tennessee, Kentucky and other southern states have a number of large and beautiful “lakes” that have been created as a result of dams and other water controls. The final push on interstate 40 was both challenging and beautiful. Twisting through the mountains, the road had ascents  where the trucks were going 35-40 mph and descents where you just tried to get out of the way of them. I was very tired and strung out on Red Bull and my wrists were killing me from over-gripping the bar handles too tightly. Little did I know that my wrists would be totally destroyed the next day on the Tail of the Dragon route (to be described in a future post).

Arrived in Maggie Valley totally exhausted. Only took a few pictures. Most everything was closed because of Covid or because the weekend (Sunday night) was over. Stayed at the Rolling Brook Inn. I guess the best description I can come up with is “retro”, meaning musty smelling room, pink bathroom, giant mosquito-like bugs and peeling paint. Too burnt out to appreciate the unique scenery of the Smoky Mountains,  didn't care, went to bed. Too tired to even describe Maggie Valley, the Smokies, the beauty, anything. 



Crappy picture, doesn’t do the Smokies justice. Go on the web for better pictures. Advice - the Smokies are wonderful and unique, just stay away from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. And don’t ride through a rain storm on the way to see them. Also, if you have the opportunity, drive ( better yet ride) the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bonus points if you start with the Skyline Drive Scenic Highway.





Comments