Monticello, UT to Grand Junction, CO - 207 miles

 Left Monticello and headed north. Stopped in Moab, UT to get my hair cut. Went to Norm’s Barbershop. Great time, he is about my age and had rock posters on his walls and an eclectic set of books. We chatted for about 45 minutes. Home town guy, also owned a BMW like Bert.

Talked about how the town had changed. Lots of building, funkiness gone, mountain bike trails paved, awful traffic, no controls on ATV. Told him how we took the family there in 90s and stayed next door to an old movie set. He remembered that. 

Kind of like a giant Glen Arbor, thousands of “outdoorsy types” with their Range Rovers, Tundras, and Pathfinders. Then the true outdoorsman/athletes; gaunt, tanned deep brown, scruffy pants, scraggly hair (girls and guys). Had a flashback to Ironman - 1500 ripped athletes confidently going about their business. No posers allowed during Ironman week.

Also disturbing was the bubba ATV faction, driving crazy in town, wearing wife beaters, Trump and Confederate flags on the rear of their units

Headed out of Moab towards Canyonlands National Park. Yet another suggestion from a random conversation with a guy in Arkansas. I have never had one of these suggestions ended up being a dud.

I made my first meaningful purchase as a “senior”; a Lifetime National Parks pass.



The Park was amazing, would love to come back and hike it sometime. Somewhat difficult to do wearing riding gear.

Beautiful vistas, and great rock formations:

The view!


More


More




Mesas Monitor and Merrimack - named after Civil War ironclads. Do they even teach kids about the Civil War anymore? Do kids (people in general) understand what the Civil War was about? What really happened (or what didn’t really happen) with the Emancipation Proclamation ?

Was heading out, when I stopped at one of the numerous turn-outs. This one was not paved. Rode directly into 3-4 “ of sand. I parked, took some pictures, and went back to gear up and leave. 

These two guys come shooting over the crest of a trail next to me and skid to a stop. They had dirty mountain bikes and  they were wearing full gear. They pull off their helmets and F-me, they were old guys.

I asked them if they were about 50, they laughed, and one said “add 30 to that for me and 34 to that for my buddy here”.

We talked for a bit and then I got ready to leave. The sand was so deep that when I tried to turn around, Lucinda tipped over. Of course, I say “no big deal, I’m good”. But I have to start taking off her aluminum cases to make Lucinda easier to pick up. After watching me struggle, for awhile, they come over and helped me pick Lucinda up and back the bike out of the sand.

I was initially embarrassed but in awe-they are my new hero’s!!! Absolute freaks of nature. They were not driving some poser “backroads SUV”,  just a compact Ford of some kind. Impressive. They do this stuff every day.

Took some photo's, but similar to the last couple of days, there was hazy air from the fires, which encumbered my ability to take any quality panorama shots.

Met two different couples from Ohio, both from Columbus. It figures.

Comments