Monument Valley, UT to Monticello, UT - 112 miles
Three words sum up the ride today: small and comfort zone. The day began when it was dark and I watched the sun rise. Wow:
Then I took a 3-hour tour, hosted by the hotel I stayed at. The bad news was that a lot of the Valley (Navajo Nation land) is closed due to Covid. The good news is that the places the tour took us were great and we also were able to see sights not available to the public because they are on private land owned or accessible by the hotel.
See the Elephant?
Spot where Forest Gump stopped running in the movie.
I have lots of pictures. Way too many pictures. I need to sort through when I get some down time.
Small - riding from Farmington, NM yesterday, taking the tour this morning, and then riding to Monticello this afternoon, I realized I’m just a small speck or maybe a molecule in this never ending landscape. The other word that comes to mind is space - the land goes on and on. Part of my route somewhat followed the old Spanish National Historic Trail. How these people / explorers made it through these lands is mind boggling. Similar to settlers crossing the Great Plains, I just can’t comprehend such a trip taking place in the late 16th century and the 1800s.

Comfort zone. My planning for Utah and Colorado was pretty loose when I started the trip. Last night I picked a route that climbed from Monument Valley at about 5500 feet, up to about 6400 feet on the Mesa above the Valley of the Gods. Interesting route: no guard rails, the major switch backs are at least 10%, gravel grades, narrow “road”, crazy! Way beyond my comfort zone. On the gravel switchback parts, I was in first gear, legs spread and feet about an inch above the road. Talk about practicing acceptance! Luckily, not many vehicles coming down the “road” as I was riding up.
You can see the approach road to the climb down in the valley.
Tomorrow, canyonlands National Park and then on to Grand Junction, CO for one more ride before the Colorado Tour starts. Still apprehensive about some of the tour routes, but WTF, I just rode a crazy route today, no better way to prepare.

















Comments
Post a Comment