Wheeling (area) to Huntington, WV - about 200 twisted miles of great fun
Interesting route, one I planned before the trip. The first couple of hours were backroads twisties and they were both challenging and fun, especially state road 26 through Wayne National Forest. If you are able to view state road 26 on the map, you can see all the curves on the road. Thus the reason it took a couple of hours to complete the 90 mile route.
I stopped in Marietta, OH to jump on a Zoom call with family to wish my dad a happy 90th birthday. Then followed a route along the Ohio River to Huntington, WV.
About 30 minutes out from Huntington, rain hit and I was soaked before I could get my rain gear on. I wanted to ride further today, but with the rain and slick roads, I decided to stop in Huntington. As I came into town, I remembered flying into Huntington a number of times for business (Marshall University was a client). The runway is very short and each time we were about to land / take off, I was sure we were going to overshoot the runway and crash. This also reminded me of the tragedy that occurred in the 70’s when the entire Marshall Football team perished in a plane crash.
Checked into the hotel, waited for the rain to quit, and then went down to the river and watched the barges go by. When you enter the park by the river, there is a huge wall (not a fake wall that was never built..) between the city and the river that is at least 10 feet tall. I realized that the wall was a flood buffer, which I think can handle a 50 ft flood stage!
Like yesterday, no real outstanding pictures to post, but they will appear soon when I get to the smokies. View from the levee:


Comments
Post a Comment