Crested Butte, CO to Telluride, CO - 160 miles

Just about 4,500 miles for the trip so far. The 160 miles of it today were exceptional. Fall is in full swing in this part of Colorado. Today, I elected to stay on the pavement to see how my hand was doing. The “cramp buster” device seems to work, but I still get the numbness after an hour or so. I ordered two of them to be delivered to the hotel in Fruita (Grand Junction area) where I will depart for home next week.


Another glorious day, blue skies, temperatures start chilly but warm up as the day goes on. Rode down the mountain from Crested Butte to Gunnison, CO and stopped to grab a coffee and an egg sandwich. Cool little town. The coffee shop interior provided me with some new ideas for lighting in my house:





The store itself was unique because it was actually a bike store which sold coffee, sandwiches and beer.


We left Gunnison and headed towards Montrose, CO. I soon realized that I had ridden part of this route 4 years ago. The road follows the Gunnison River for a long time. There are several huge reservoirs along the route. The water was extremely low in the reservoirs. At the Ridgeway State Park reservoir, one had to drive at least a quarter mile on dry lake bed to get to the water.

The scenery from Montrose to Ridgeway was amazing:






We stopped in Ridgeway for lunch. Bought stuff at the grocery store and went across the street to eat in the park. People in Colorado heavily use the abundant natural resources available and the park was full of people.

The last stretch from Ridgeway to Telluride was just perfect. More aspen trees in full fall mode, a twisty road, massive rock formations, and of course lots of traffic - people coming down the mountain to go home. 

The first part of the ride was pretty, but worrisome. Driving straight into the sun at rush hour on an unfamiliar mountain road was tense!  I said to myself “if I can just make it to where the road goes south / east, I will be fine.” I make the turn and then get more scared because I realize the people leaving the mountain are in a hurry to get home, talking on cell phones, not paying attention, and they are now driving straight into the sun! Since my mind is in overdrive, I start thinking about elk or other animals that may decide to cross the road at this time of day. 

Arrive Telluride - WOW.




Beautiful little town at the end of a canyon. Neat restaurants, the Main Street is blocked off and full of tables to eat, a stage, etc. Had a great steak dinner at a locally-sourced restaurant in town.

Tomorrow for me is a rest day, going to hike and ride a gondola to the top of the ski area. Hopefully, my hand will get better. I may also skip riding tomorrow as we are here for 3 nights.

Comments